Short Guide to Qualified Electronic Signature in Serbia
A qualified electronic signature is a type of digital signature that has the same legal effect as a handwritten signature. It is based on a qualified certificate issued by a trusted service provider and a secure signature creation device. A qualified electronic signature can be used for various purposes, such as signing contracts, invoices, tax returns, and other documents that require legal validity.
Regulation on electronic signature
In Serbia, the Law on Electronic Document, Electronic Identification and Trust Services in Electronic Business regulates the use of qualified electronic signatures and other types of electronic identification and trust services. According to the law, a qualified electronic signature must meet the following requirements:
- It is uniquely linked to the signatory.
- It identifies the signatory.
- It is created by a secure signature creation device that the signatory can control with a high level of confidence.
- It is linked to the data signed in such a way that any subsequent change in the data is detectable.
To obtain a qualified electronic signature in Serbia, you need to apply for a qualified certificate from one of the accredited trust service providers. A list of accredited trust service providers can be found on the website of the Ministry of Trade, Tourism and Telecommunications. You also need to have a secure signature creation device, such as a smart card, a USB token, or a mobile application, that is compatible with the certificate.
Obtaining a qualified electronic signature
The process of obtaining a qualified electronic signature may vary depending on the trust service provider you choose. However, in general, you need to follow these steps:
- Fill out an online application form on the website of the trust service provider.
- Provide your personal information and identity documents, such as your ID card or passport.
- Choose the type and duration of the certificate you want to obtain.
- Pay the fee for the certificate and the secure signature creation device.
- Receive your certificate and your secure signature creation device by mail or in person.
- Activate your certificate and your secure signature creation device following the instructions provided by the trust service provider.
- Start using your qualified electronic signature for signing electronic documents.
Benefits of using a qualified electronic signature
The benefits of using a qualified electronic signature in Serbia are:
- It provides legal certainty and security for your electronic transactions.
- It reduces costs and time for signing and exchanging documents.
- It enables cross-border recognition and interoperability with other EU countries that follow the eIDAS regulation.
- It enhances your digital identity and reputation.
If you want to learn more about qualified electronic signatures and other types of electronic identification and trust services in Serbia, you can visit the official website of eID Serbia, which provides useful information and resources on this topic. You can also contact us at STATT, where we offer professional services and solutions for digital transformation and e-business. We can help you obtain and use qualified electronic signatures and other digital tools that can improve your efficiency and competitiveness in the digital market.